I see your point. Worth another vote? Or should this switch be postponed
to 2.1, trading consistency in minor version upgrades for a longer time
for these Latin1 defaults to be established?
[...]
So while I agree that a change in default either now or in the future is
ugly, it is not taboo, and I believe woth the gain.

Latin-1 being the default value was part of our proposal and not many people
complained about that nor changed their previous votes. So I believe another
vote won't deliver a different outcome.

Besides, Brian's honorable efforts to ban regressions are a good argument to
keep the already started route with Latin-1. It might not be the best
default value, but it's only a one liner to change it.

Benjamin