Stephen Connolly-2 wrote:

> what maven gives you is a consistent set of phases that any developer only
> has to learn once.

Agree and that is the lure of Maven. But if you look at the plugins,
execution tags and the weird behavior of per default compiling against java
1.3 (in stead of the default of the used JDK, which mean you always have to
add these tags), noone can really claim that a Maven pom is much more
readable than a well setup ant file.

I agree; "well setup" is important here, but at least it is possible to do
it clean and concise. Coming back to my question in this thread; adding a
new plugin to the build cycle requires (in best standard syntax) at least 5
lines of code, and that is without any configuration. Why can't I just
specify in the plugin when it needs to run, so I only need to add it?

I like the idea of Maven, but in the implementation it is often missing the
point. Another example: take a pom-package (a pom file with just references
but no artifact on its own); if you refer to that pom, you need to specify
type=pom in the reference. Why? Maven can read the referred pom file and
come to that conclusion itself.

Anyhow, this small rant naturally is not focused on you, I'm just expressing
my amazement about that the answer is not what I expected.

Thanks for answering though!