I'm having a problem with the release plugin, BOMs in the reactor, and Maven 3.x. I just uncovered the problem last night, and spent a good part of today trying to narrow it down and verify that it isn't something I'm doing wrong.

The issue is http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-4962

This will definitely have an effect on groups that are building large project structures with BOMs to help coordinate versions.

I'm still trying to figure out what might be the best way to fix it, or even to understand how I might go about fixing it at all (still don't completely understand the root cause yet), but I'm happy to help where I can.