Thanks for initiating this. The cleanup is something I've worked on from time
to time and each time burned out before getting to the end :) It's definitely a
case of "many hands make light work".

At the moment, we use versions to measure triage, but labels sound like a much
better alternative. I like yours, though I think "backlog cleanup" should apply
to all issues regardless of test case / old / new / patch that we can work down
to 0. You also have a gap - there's nothing to specify that it's reviewed, has
sufficient information to reproduce (preferably a test case), but doesn't have
a patch.

How about we have 3 label states to describe triage:
* no label in this group - brand new issue, needs review. We should send this
list to dev@ once a week to remind us to look at them...
* maven-backlog-cleanup - old issues that have not been reviewed recently
* maven-triaged - new issues get this once they've been reviewed but nobody is
ready to work on it yet

Then the other two labels are additive to the above:
* maven-needs-testcase
* maven-patch-available

Both are self explanatory, the first calling on the reporter to push it
forward, the second calling on the committers to push it forward.

What we have now:

1) 1 issue for 2.2.2 (because it's a regression on the 2.2.x branch)

We can either discard the changes on the 2.2.x branch (resume from 2.2.1 if we
ever need a patch release), or fix this and push 2.2.2 as the EOL version

2) 1 issue for 3.0.4

Something Hervé is working on - but in general we need a list of stuff to do
for this release, if at all.

3) 42 issues for 3.1

This list is probably out of date now, but they were at least triaged. We
should decide what really is going to constitute 3.1, and move the rest to the
"triaged" area

4) 325 "Issues to be reviewed for 3.x"

Not yet triaged issues, moved out so that new stuff coming in could be more
easily identified (!). I suggest we remove this version and label them
maven-backlog-cleanup

5) 30 in 3.x / Backlog

Triaged issues (bearing in mind that it happened over a year ago, and so may
have aged again). I suggest we remove the version and label it maven-triaged

6) 52 "Documentation Deficit"

These would be best moved to a dedicated documentation project, or a label
within MNG. We sometimes use MNG, sometimes MNGSITE - a strategy around this
would be helpful. I continue to favour versioned documentation, but I know
that's not everyone's preference - best leave that decision to those working on
it more recently :)

7) 96 Unscheduled

Not yet triaged issues. We can either keep these as new, or filter by time and
put some in the "cleanup" bucket.

Cheers,
Brett

Brett Porter