To close the loop on this one :

With Steve Niemitz's help, I resolved the issue, kafka-scheduler was going
to wrong master and the slave it was going to returned a
/master/status.json which did not have any information about the registered
slaves.

"slaves":[

   ],

What did I do?

   1. Restarted zookeeper - running the docket image on marathon.
   2. Edited kafka-mesos.properties with same content but changing seq.

It started working and I just tested it by producing one test message and
consuming it.

Thanks to all of you, who helped, for your time.

Vinit.

PS: for some reason, Steve was not CCed on one of the replies, so I worked
with him 1-1 below is the conversation thread, if anybody else runs into
the same problem.

--
~Vinit