Your suggestion generally encompasses the spirit of what we will do after
we've given the community time to act on their own. The reason we will
likely go through them manually is that there will be some patches that
don't apply but for which the contributor would still like to resume work.
Ideally people going through their outbox will have more context for which
things definitely don't make sense to keep open, so the list of which I
will have to go through manually will be shorter ;-)
I think the right thing is to provide people time to take these actions
themselves.

We will be going through review of the github pull requests (already a much
smaller list) in the upcoming week.
After that I hope the reviewboard list will be significantly shorter and we
will be able to go through reviews of the remaining patches with higher
confidence that we'll be able follow through on them with the contributor.