Logging is always contentious.   I'd rather we let the end-users
decide, and currently the "standard" for doing that in a framework is
to use commons-logging.  We do need to clear up whether it's ok to use
it for the api jar file, though.

Our wiki currently reads:

http://wiki.apache.org/myfaces/MyFaces_Developer_Notes
Logging

Except in the JSF API (javax.faces.*) classes, where there must not be
any dependencies to additional libraries, commons-logging is used for
logging generally. Commons-logging should be used in the recommended
way, i.e. each class has it's own private static logger.