Blake Sullivan wrote:
Stephen Friedrich said the following On 4/13/2008 11:26 PM PT:
Blake, in general you point of view is a very theoretical one from a high
ebony tower. Do you say so in english? ;-)
In English, it is usually "ivory tower", but, if you think that I'm evil, "ebony tower" might be more approriate.

Oops, somehow it looked strange when written - guess I was confused by that
Stevie Wonder classic ;-)

I think our opinions aren't that different after all.
It would be great to have well designed hooks for everything - but we just
won't see that any time soon.

For this to be easy, the developer would have needed to have already added a protected hook to control where the required field indicator is located. Yet, if he had that much foresight, why didn't he make the

Well the point is that when methods are protected there need not be a
explicit hook.

An extreme example is JBoss Seam, where almost all of the internals are
implemented using their own component framework. I can always replace
default behaviour by replacing components.
Of course when upgrading from version 1.1 to 2.0 I had to modify my
changed components, too, but that was expected and not so much work after all.