Hi,

Louis Suarez-Potts wrote:
> hi,
>
> On 2009-05-18, at 01:56 , Peter Junge wrote:
>
>> Louis,
>>
>> Louis Suarez-Potts wrote:
>>> The next regional group meeting will be held Friday 29 May at 13:00 UTC
>>> via IRC at irc.freenode.net #oooregional
>>>

>> thanks for sending this invitation much earlier this time. I still have
>> an issue about the scheduling. This is a of course a meeting supposed to
>> span over several time zones, in China it will be 9pm, 10pm in Japan,
>> 11pm in Australia and even Saturday 1am in New Zealand. Friday night is
>> the night that many people use to enjoy themselves after a hard weeks
>> work, going to bars and restaurants, meeting with family and friends. A
>> lot of others, who live and work apart from their families during the
>> week, are on the road to travel home. Hence, I think it's tough for
>> those in the APAC timezones to attend a bi-weekly meeting on Friday
>> night.
>
> Oh. I guess I never thought of that :-) (for me, enjoying myself with
> friends is, uhm, being at the computer on IRC or IM).....

Yes indeed, IRC or IM are great ways to communicate with people all over
the globe, however for me it's far away from being a method to
socialize, as I can not see the faces nor hear the voices of my friends.

> Would Thursday (or some other day earlier in the week) be better for you
> and others in the region?

Yes, Thursday is much better, earlier in the week would be a problem for
both of us, as we do frequently join calls at some TCs at OASIS. In
general it should be considered, that communication over several time
zones is worst for people living in the APAC area by default. I do not
like it, but still can manage it, as I'm an expat. For locals who have
kids, it's certainly much harder. We shouldn't put contributers into
situations, where they have to decide between family and OOo, as OOo
will surely lose this choice in most cases.

Best regards,
Peter