2009/4/18 Tim Ruppert <tim.rupp...@hotwaxmedia.com>:
> Here I put in the information from each of the threads so they could be read
> easily.  The biggest issue I have with this is that entire idea of the ASF
> license in general.  If anyone can take all of the code that is provided here
> and go do whatever they want with it - how can the ASF say that we can't show
> the logo / assets that we built and donated to the community?  That's amazing
> that they would even care to tell you the truth.

Read the licence:

"6. Trademarks. This License does not grant permission to use the
trade names, trademarks, service marks, or product names of the
Licensor, except as required for reasonable and customary use in
describing the origin of the Work and reproducing the content of the
NOTICE file. "

It's about protecting the Apache brand from misuse. There are plenty
of people out there who would like to take the code and claim it is
there own without contributing back to the donating project.

There is nothing stopping someone taking the product, calling it
SuperBiz and prominently saying "SuperBiz is based on the ApacheOfBiz
project. SuperBiz.com are contributors to Apache OfBiz."

> I more than understand that they would want a disclaimer on stuff that
> they're not managing - and I'll be the first person to push that thru - but
> not being able to show the logo, etc - unless I'm really mistaken - is a bit
> too far IMO.  Anyways looking forward to more discussion on this.  Thanks
> everyone for humoring me.

The moment you it is served from non ASF hardware the ASF no longer
have any control over the management of that resource. Therefore there
can be no guarantee of the good management we find in ASF projects.

Ross

--
Ross Gardler

OSS Watch - supporting open source in education and research
http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk