On Jun 15, 2010, at 1:48 AM, ext Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS) wrote:
> If we plan to do a 3.0, can we have a meeting in Barcelona to discuss the
> direction?

As the biggest stickler for actually maintaining backwards compatibility, I
feel somewhat strongly that the onus is on me for improving the situation we
have to no longer feel like a constant battle :)

So, as much as I hate to break API compatibility, I am strongly in favor
of our next major effort being OpenLayers 3.0. (We may want to do another
2.10 to pick up some of the features that devs have been working on, like
the WMTS support, but that most of our effort should be looking forward.

I think that Barcelona is an excellent opportunity to push through the
hard parts of this process.

One question that I'm not sure on: do we want to start a 3.0 branch before
that, and start cleaning up trunk, so that we can be effective during
Barcelona?

Practically speaking, this effort probably requires several days of
concentrated developer time, with as many of us as possible in attendance;
setting up the basics -- removing a lot of the "FIXMEs", etc. -- could be
done beforehand, so that we don't waste time during the conference on this.

We could either track these things via a new milestone in trac, or simply
say that trunk committers are trusted to use their best judgement in moving
the code forward; I don't think we need to have a full review of every change
in a 3.x branch by multiple developers until we're approaching a release.

So my question is not: "Should the next release be 3.x" -- I think that's fair
enough, given where we are, though it's possible we do a minor release that
we call 2.10 just because it has features. I think the question is "How should
we go about starting work on 3.x so that we can plan to get work done now and
be able to get 90% of the way there by the time FOSS4G is over?"

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
Nokia