On 12/03/2012 01:51 PM, Keith N. McKenna wrote:
Rob Weir wrote:
On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 2:54 PM, Keith N. McKenna
<keith.mcke...@comcast.net> wrote:
Rob Weir wrote:

On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 1:41 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
wrote:

On 26/11/2012 Rob Weir wrote:

[Can I install Openoffice on my IPAD?] I nominate this for an FAQ.

I agree. But where is our FAQ page currently? Unfortunately,
there's an
"OpenOffice FAQ" easily reachable by search engines at
http://www.openoffice.org/faq.html and quite outdated (I don't know
whether
it's reachable from the home page, but it doesn't seem so).

Time to make a new FAQ available or update the old one and link to it
from
the current site?

The current location of the FAQ is prominent in search results.  That
is valuable and worth preserving.

But the current FAQ contents are out of date.  They would need a lot
of work to update/correct them.

Although the FAQ's are presented in a way that is OK for the user, the
static HTML source is structured in a way that will be painful to
maintain.   Getting a cleaner structure, for example using HTML
definition lists (<dl>) would be easier and could be maintained via
the CMS web interface.

There is another set of FAQ's on the documentation wiki:
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/FAQ

These also appear to be unmaintained.  But I think the wiki version
would be easier to maintain.

So one possible resolution could be:

1) Take anything of use from the FAQ's at
http://www.openoffice.org/faq.html and copy them into new FAQ items on
the wiki

2) Update the other FAQ's on the wiki

3) Add new items to the wiki FAQ (like the iPAD question)

4) Delete the old FAQ directory and replace with a single page that
directs the reader to the wiki FAQ's.

-Rob
-Rob

Regards,
    Andrea.

Rob;

I have been updating some of the FAQ's on the wiki site that were
tagged as
needing help. I am more than willing to start a comprehensive review and
clean-up of the User FAQ's on the documentation wiki if that is the
way we
decide to go. The advantage is that the wiki is easier to maintain
and it is
already categorized with a toc on the main page.

The other FAQ on the website is also categorized:
http://www.openoffice.org/faq.html

So whatever direction we start from we'll probably want to update and
consolidate.

In my personal opinion, mdtext on the website is a good solution here.
But my opinion takes a back seat when someone else actually volunteers
to do the work.  So if you prefer the wiki for this, then you have a
+1 from me.  I'd just recommend that you fold in anything good from
the existing website into the wiki, so we have can have a single FAQ
for the project.

Oh, actually we have a few other FAQs:

http://openoffice.apache.org/community-faqs.html

http://openoffice.apache.org/developer-faqs.html

http://openoffice.apache.org/pmc-faqs.html

Maybe a simplifying assumption could be:

1) We make the MWiki FAQ's be the user-facing FAQs about the product
and the project

This seems reasonable to me.

Maybe it's just me, but I can't get any any output from:

http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/FAQ

Looking at the source, this seems to be a customized Google search that was once in play, and now doesn't work.

I don't really know much about MW but I'm wondering if there's some sort of built it internal search (or an external function that could be installed) with it that could use doc categories or something to make an internal search work.

2) We have the "internal" project-facing FAQ's on
openoffice.apache.org website, in their current mdtext format.

-Rob

Regards
Keith

Rob;

Though your simplifying assumption appears on the surface to be a good
compromise the process engineer in me says I see a potential maintenance
disaster looming. It creates essentially two different processes with
different tools to accomplish the same basic task something that I
prefer to avoid if possible. By using one or the other you cut down on
the training necessary to bring new people up to speed and you
centralize the maintenance and lessen the chance that something slips
under the radar.

I already know what kind of shape the documentation section of the wiki
is in. Let me take a look at the FAQ's on the web site and see how far
out of date they are. It may be that rewriting the user ones in dtet may
make more sense.

Regards
Keith

MzK

“How wrong is it for a woman to expect the man to build the world
 she wants, rather than to create it herself?”
                                        -- Anais Nin