Hello Michael;

There are many interesting things to do with Java: we could use a general update
to the code to use generics (I think Eclipse has tools for that) and we have
stuff like
Lucene that I am pretty sure needs a review to see where we can use the new
features. hsqldb could also use some tender care: we even have code for
review that no one has looked at.

You could make a walkthrough SVN to see how the code is distributed and
have a try to build it in your platform. I am not going to lie: the code is big
and some parts are scary (hey it's C++ !) , but with patience you get to
understand enough to make a huge difference.

Pedro.