Hi there:

So, what you are saying is that I will need to use the JAVA
Accessibility API along with that Open Office application? Honestly,
native controls work much better for assistive technologies. I am not
sure how much your developers are familiar with coding for
accessibility; however, there are some specific things that can be
done if you want your application to use its own UI rather than native
controls.

I tried using function f6 upon opening the application, but i had no
such luck. I still cannot choose the template I want, like the writing
document or spread sheet.

i thank you so much for your diligence with this matter. You guys are
so great! :)

On 3/15/13, Joost Andrae <joost.and...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi Reina,
>

>> My name is Reina Grosvalet, and I am displeased about the fact that
>> Open Office is not accessible for blind computer users, as this
>> program does not work with screen reading and other assistive
>> technologies. Blind people, just like everyone else, want a free word
>> processing option that works just as well as MS Office. Blind
>> freelancers can especially benefit from your program beingaccessible,
>> as well as blind entrepreneurs, students and professionals.
>
> Some of the tools you're using with MS Office don't work well with other
> programs that use it's own UI controls instead of native controls.
> OpenOffice currently exposes it's information to accessive technology
> via Java Accessibility API on Windows and via GNOME Accessibility API on
> Linux/Solaris with GNOME and on Mac via NSAcessibility. Some developers
> here are currently working on support for IAccessible2.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IAccessible2
> http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Accessibility/IAccessible2_support
>
> Have a look here:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/ui/accessibility/at-support.html
> http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Accessibility
>

>> Because I am a certified 508 Compliance Analyst, I can provide
>> detailed feedback concerninghow you can make your program one hundred
>> percent accessible, so the millions of blind computer users around the
>> world will be able to benefit from it along with everyone else. If you
>> need proof of my certificates, I will be glad to send them to you. A
>> plus is that I am also totally blind, so I can provide feedback from
>> the point of view of someone who is blind.
>>
>> in order to give you an idea of some of the problems I see, I am going
>> to provide you with a mini report below. this report states:
>>
>> 1. The installer has buttons that are clearly labeled with text that
>> can be clearly accessed using keyboard navigation. this is a plus
>> because a blind computer user is able to successfully install the
>> program on his or her computer without any sighted help.
>> 2. The buttons in the installer all have corresponding access keys,
>> like alt+n for next and alt+f for finish. This is very helpful for
>> screen reader users and for those who use assistive technologies
>> because these access keys allow such users to complete functions
>> quickly.
>> 3. Upon opening the program, however, i notice that a blind computer
>> user is not able to access any of its functions using keyboard
>> navigation. the blind user cannot select the type of template heor she
>> wishes to use, like a spreadssheet or text document. Drop down menus
>> cannot be accessed using any form of keyboard navigation, like using
>> the alt key to access the menus like in the windows operating system.
>
> Use funktion key F6 to toggle between the menu, menu bar and tool bars
>

>> as soon as you contact me, I can construct a detailed report that
>> contains each problem I see as well as provide detailed fixes to these
> [...]

Get More Bang with Your Buck with Waldorf PC

whether you need tech support, troubleshooting, or a new computer
custom built, we have it all.

Call 301-535-3733 for more details.