I think we should start first with what the purpose of the splash screen is:

1 Welcome users. Hi I'm OpenOffice.

2 Provide loading progress.  If loading is so fast do we even need a bar.
Perhaps a spinning circle is better to show activity.

3 Is there any specific requirements. Ie. Legal, asf logo requirement.
My thought, its unlikely we have legal requirement as its not even up long
enough for users to read in order to adhere to.

My contribution in this conversation is to stand in the user's shoes.
Think little sister or mom. Do they read that? Is it foreign concept? Do
they care? Should they really care?

If we cut out text and objects that don't really matter, when it comes time
to present the user with something that does matter they will more likely
read it.

Please note I am listening to feedback with ears wide open, no comment is a
stupid comment. I will place feedback into the application screens wiki
page I started.

Samer