On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 2:59 AM, Edwin Sharp <el...@mail-page.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 14, 2013, at 22:58, Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> Finally, I think we can all point to a similar open source project
>> that has numerous betas, but still suffers from poor quality.  So a
>> public beta, by itself, is not sufficient.  We need some upstream
>> improvements as well, I think.  But we should do a beta as well.  But
>> aim to have the highest quality beta we can, right?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> -Rob
>
> This comparison is not fair because the release frequency of the two projects
> is totally different.

To the original question you had suggested more frequent releases.
Raphael and Hagar suggested beta releases.  So it is entirely relevant
to point out that a sister project that had adopted both of those
practices has not achieved any great quality improvements.

When you think of it, why should release pacing have any impact on
quality?  Quality is increased if you prevent bugs, detect them before
you release, or fix them before you release.  Anything that claims to
improve quality should have a direct impact on one of those three
actions.  Does a release prevent bugs?  Detect them?  Fix them?  No,
not really.

What a release can do is prompt increase QA attention as the release
approaches.  But this is an indirect and not obligatory practice.  We
could have frequent releases that are tested less, because of the less
time available for testing.  This would lead to lower quality.  Or we
could have multiple full test passes with a longer release, taking
better advantage of the time, and leading to higher quality.

So the thing that matters here is the testing time, testing coverage,
testing efficiency, etc.  The release pace has no direct effect on
quality.

> Quality can also be improved by better community culture. No offense, but I
> found this inappropriate:

Culture is important, yes, to the extent it leads to the adoption of
quality practices.  One good cultural point would be a community that
is not offended by facts and fact-based reasoning.

Regards,

-Rob