On 5 September 2013 12:15, Peter Junge <peter.ju...@gmx.org> wrote:
> On 9/5/2013 5:24 PM, sebb wrote:
>>
>> The dev list sees the occasional thread which IMO really belongs on
>> the user list/forum
>>
>> Although it is convenient for the poster to have the question answered
>> on the dev list, I wonder if that is the best approach overall.
>>
>> The disadvantages of not referring the poster to the user list are
>> several:
>>
>> - other users don't benefit from the thread
>> - the dev list is cluttered with the off-topic threads
>> - the poster may continue to use the dev list rather than the user
>> list/forum where there are lots more potential responders
>

> +1 to all of the above. Unfortunately it's not possible to already
> redirecting to the user list during moderating. I would guess at least 80%
> of user topics here are moderated in. Didn't we discuss mechanisms to
> restrict postings to dev@ a couple of months ago?

A moderator can always reject a posting to the developer list with a
polite message asking them to subscribe/post elsewhere.

For example:

%%% Start comment
This message is off-topic for this mailing list.

Please subscribe to the Apache OpenOffice user mailing list and post
there - thanks.
See:
%%% End comment