On 22 October 2013 11:48, Andre Fischer <awf....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> At the moment we provide full installation sets for every release and for
> all platforms and languages.  An installation set has a typical size of
> roughly 150MB.  The size of the actual changes is typically much smaller.
>  Using patches instead of full installation sets would considerably reduce
> the amount of data that has to be downloaded by users.  For new users
> without existing installation of OpenOffice we probably still need the full
> installation sets.

Would this also be an opertunity, to look at how we release languages ?

I have tested making an installation set that contain all released
languages, it has a rough size of 200Mb, which is a lot friendlier than <#
langauges> * 150Mb, and gives international users (like me) the option to
switch UI.

All I miss is to pursuade the installer to choose the right default UI
language.

> Note that such patches can only be made for minor or micro releases.
>  Major releases would still be full installation sets.
>
> I have worked in the past months on finding out how our build system has
> to be modified in order to create patch sets on Windows.  This has resulted
> in a set of conditions [1] that have to be fulfilled by the installation
> sets.  One example of a condition that we currently don't fulfill is that
> files must not be deleted in minor or micro releases.
>
> Up to now I have taken two full installation sets and then tweaked the
> newer one until I was able to
> a) successfully create an .msp patch file and
> b) successfully apply it to an OpenOffice that was installed by the older
> install set.
>
> I would now like to change the build system, especially the solenv/bin/
> make_installer.pl script and its modules, so that the installation sets
> it creates can be used without further changes to create patch sets.  I
> would also like to add the patch creation itself.

+1, I have added a single comment on the wiki page about zero length files.

please consider making the patch mechanism in its own module.

> For this I propose and seek lazy consensus for the following changes:
>
> 1. When a new release is made, create data files that are added to our
> version control system (semi automatically) that allow us on the next
> release to check and/or enforce the conditions.
>
> 2. Before the next release is made, read the data files of the previous
> release and check and/or enforce the conditions.
>
> 3. When a new minor or micro release is made, first create the full
> installation sets, then create patches.
>    Besides the data files mentioned above, this also requires access to
> the installation sets of the previous release.
>
> 4. Cleanup of the logging mechanism used by make_installer.pl and its
> modules, so that I can better debug the existing and the new code.
>

> Most of the proposed changes have a low impact on the current creation of
> installation sets.  They basically only add new features (collecting
> information about a release, adding it to the VCS,  reading the information
> on next release, checking conditions, creating patches).  However, some
> conditions can be enforced automatically (like using the same uuids for
> components in one release and the next) and that can introduce regressions,
> ie break installation sets.  But I think the danger of that is not bigger
> than with many other new features or bug fixes.  I don't expect conflicts
> with build system changes made or proposed by Jan.

Go for it, if you do in trunk, I can merge it into my branches.

I also very little conflict with my build system work, like maybe 1-2
changed makefiles. But thats no serious conflicts, and more me being aware
of the changes.

> More details about the creation of installation sets and patches can be
> found in the Wiki [2].

I really like the idea, that brings us one step closer to a more
installation.

thx for taking this initative.

rgds
jan I.