On 22 October 2013 13:48, Andre Fischer <awf....@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 22.10.2013 13:32, janI wrote:
>
>> On 22 October 2013 13:10, Andre Fischer <awf....@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> orthogonal to creating patches.  And we have to distinguish what language
>>> support we are talking about:
>>> - UI language of the installer
>>>
>>>  We still need the installer in every language, and that the bit that I
>> have
>> not done. I envised a fork in the installer so it loads the OS language of
>> the host.
>>

> There are two parts to this: setup.exe and the included msi.  Adding
> support to the msi might be easier than we think.  At least the 'File'
> table has a 'Language' column.  I think the table that contains the UI
> messages that are displayed during the installation has something similar.
>  If this column acts as a filter then all we have to do is add entries for
> all languages and let the msi select the right ones automatically.  The
> setup.exe is build by the NSIS installer creator.  I don't know if and how
> it supports multiple languages.
>

>>  - UI language of OpenOffice
>>>
>>>  that is what I have done with --with-lang
>>
>>  - Languages supported by spell checker et al.
>>>
>> that is simple files added to the distribution, and the main reason for
>> the
>> extra 50Mb.
>>

> Yes, but how do we decide which of the many spell checkers to install?
>  All of them all the time?  Or only a subset, depending on the locale?

You are right, we might just want to install the UI part with the local
spell checker, then the user can choose to add spell checkers as needed.

>> Why do you see this as a disadvantage to our users.
>>

> I only see the larger download as disadvantage.  I don't know how many
> people really would want to have even more spell checkers installed on
> their system and would accept an increase of 1/3 of our already large
> installation sets.
> The main reason for using patches instead of full installation sets is
> their reduced size.  Including all available languages might reduce that
> advantage.

You misunderstand me. I am 100% for patches !!

with all available languages in the install set, we will only need 1 patch,
so in total its an advantage.

But as said earlier, I agree with "small steps" first make the patches
work, then consider the rest.

rgds
jan I.

>>> scpactionsinproductlanguageres****olvedarrayref'.  But maybe I will