From: Jason Marshall [mailto:j_k_marshall_2...@live.com]
Sent: Sunday, August 9, 2015 09:03
To: dev@openoffice.apache.org
Subject: Simple code practice to get started

Hi everyone

I have successfully built OpenOffice 4.1.1 on a 32 bit Windows 7 platform.  I
have installed this with windows integration and it runs with no problem.  I
have then tried to make a couple of changes to the code as defined by the
following hacks on the OpenOffice wiki (addition of extra 'OK' button in about
dialog box and reversal of menus):

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Hacking
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Tutorial_About

Within the directory of the relevant module changed (e. g.
/cygdrive/c/aoo44/main/vcl), I then call build and the build appears to
complete with no issue.  However, when I start OpenOffice from the icon on the
Windows taskbar, the changes do not appear to have carried through, such that
none of the coded changes are visible.

I have taken care to ensure that OpenOffice is closed and then re-opened
following the build, but to no avail.  I am guessing that for some reason I am
not starting OpenOffice correctly, such that it is still running on code which
does not contain the changes that I have made.  Alternatively, perhaps the
build has not actually worked correctly without me being aware of this.  I am
aware that the hacking guide stipulates that OpenOffice should be started from
the Cygwin command line.  I have tried this, but the bash states the following:

Jason and Emma@JasonandEmma-PC
/cygdrive/c/aoo411/main/solver/411/wntmsci12.pro/bin
$ . soffice.bin
-bash: .: soffice.bin: cannot execute binary file

I suspect that my mistake is really rather elementary and perhaps indicates my
own lack of knowledge about how things work.  Accordingly, any advice would be
much appreciated.

Thank you.

Jason