Hi Jason,

Jason Marshall schrieb:
Hi everyone

I have successfully built OpenOffice 4.1.1 on a 32 bit Windows 7
platform.  I have installed this with windows integration and it runs
with no problem.  I have then tried to make a couple of changes to
the code as defined by the following hacks on the OpenOffice wiki
(addition of extra 'OK' button in about dialog box and reversal of
menus):

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Hacking
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Tutorial_About

Within the directory of the relevant module changed (e. g.
/cygdrive/c/aoo44/main/vcl), I then call build and the build appears
to complete with no issue.

After you build a module, call deliver in that module. Some modules do that automatically but others not. So to be sure I run deliver each time.

  However, when I start OpenOffice from the
icon on the Windows taskbar, the changes do not appear to have
carried through, such that none of the coded changes are visible.

The installations is not directly connected to the source, therefore the installation knows nothing about your changes.

The files, which will be packed to an installation set are located in the folder main/solver/<version-number>/wntmsci12.pro/bin.

Sort the folder by date, so that you can easily find, which are altered. Copy the altered *.dll files into the program folder of your installation. If your change alters UI strings too, you might need to copy a *.res file too. They go to program/resource.

This method only works for small changes inside one module, without changing the headers.

I have taken care to ensure that OpenOffice is closed and then
re-opened following the build, but to no avail.  I am guessing that
for some reason I am not starting OpenOffice correctly, such that it
is still running on code which does not contain the changes that I
have made.  Alternatively, perhaps the build has not actually worked
correctly without me being aware of this.  I am aware that the
hacking guide stipulates that OpenOffice should be started from the
Cygwin command line.  I have tried this, but the bash states the
following:

Jason and Emma@JasonandEmma-PC
/cygdrive/c/aoo411/main/solver/411/wntmsci12.pro/bin $ . soffice.bin
-bash: .: soffice.bin: cannot execute binary file

I suspect that my mistake is really rather elementary and perhaps
indicates my own lack of knowledge about how things work.
Accordingly, any advice would be much appreciated.

When you start working on the code, you should make an administrative installation fore-to keep your normal OpenOffice installation untouched. Another effect is, that an administrative installation is even quick, when you need to reinstall the whole OpenOffice, in case you have made changes, which require a clean build or affect a lot of modules. A normal installation is only needed, when you work on the system integration itself.

Kind regards
Regina