In that case, the basic program should definitely be in Java, to avoid buffer overflows, undefined operations, and pointer arithmetic.

The Java security issues are associated with attempts to run untrusted code in various controlled environments. That includes applets, as well as well as dynamically loaded code in applications. My current attitude is that I don't want any code I don't trust running on a system I care about.