I checked my Java Control Panel and I have "Suppress sponsor offers when installing or updating Java" checked, so my install experience is not useful information.

I don't remember checking it, but it would be a no-brainer first time I saw it in the control panel, considering how I feel about the Ask.com mess.

See, for example,
http://superuser.com/questions/549028/how-can-i-prevent-ask-com-toolbar-from-being-installed-every-time-java-is-update

I just did a simple default install of the current JRE, and it did not
offer Ask.com, so maybe Oracle has seen the error of their ways.