On 2/2/2016 9:25 AM, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:
On Tue, Feb 2, 2016 at 6:10 PM, Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org> wrote:

OpenGrok looks and sounds like something I should learn about.

I think my next step is to look into the state of python. Matters may have
been complicated because I did a "dmake clean" after changing my configure
parameters to use a 32 bit JDK, before continuing the steps from configure
on.

Yes, I think "dmake clean" requires re-running configure, bootstrap, source
winenv.set.sh and only then build.

There may be a pause - I have some non-programming stuff to do today and
tomorrow morning.

Thanks for all the help. Posting immediately on hitting a problem is
definitely getting faster progress than when I tried to puzzle things out
for myself first.

It's a pleasure, sorry it's so hard, and thank you for your perseverance
through this building nightmare.

I hope that I'll later be able to use the log I'm creating through these e-mail messages to add a section to the build documents on what can go wrong, how to prevent it, and what to do afterwards. That may make the process easier in the future.

I think Sun Microsystems really had a knack for "comedy build systems" as
someone described them. OpenJDK was similarly painful to compile,
especially when they first open-sourced it.

I used to work for Sun, but as a large server architect, not on the Java or StarOffice side of things. If you think software builds are bad, try making changes to the design of an ASIC.