On 03/20/2016 10:54 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
[BCC to the PMC]

>From the Chair,

If this is considered an Apache release and identified as provided by the
Apache OpenOffice project, then the Apache release requirements must be
satisfied.

I know of no records on the AOO project obtaining an exception for this case
from the Foundation.  If there are any, please make known where that
information is preserved.

There is no difficulty with the formalities other than requiring patience and
ensuring that certain requirements on release packaging are satisfied.  The
recent difficulty is not having enough PMC members who were able to satisfy the
binding vote requirement.  So long as there are, as there seem to be now, this
can go forward the same as the previous release that Carl escorted through the
process.

One step that would be useful to take is having some identification of the UNO
Tools version releases that progresses separately from the Apache OpenOffice
main product release cadence.  It would be very useful and practical to have a
naming of files and versioning in the source-code release [candidates] that is
distinct from the AOO version progression in some manner, since only some of
these will be bundled in the AOO releases of full OpenOffice.  I imagine with
practice, the delivery of the UNO Tools and facilitation of their use by others
will become straightforward.

There was already discussion of ASF release policies on a related thread.  Here
is the relevant policy and practice material.

    <http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html>, along with

    <http://apache.org/dev/release.html>.

    Note that any committer (with a registered PGP signature) can pull
    together a release, although it is the PMC that is responsible for
    assuring its acceptability and approval.  Acceptability is also in
    specific, narrow terms.  See the rules for voting on releases and
    what those who vote approval are required to have done.  Read from
    <http://apache.org/dev/release.html#approving-a-release> down to
    just before the Release Distribution topic.

The Apache OpenOffice project does not have autonomy on this matter.  A key
responsibility of the PMC is assuring that the release process and its
integrity are achieved and sustained.  It happens that the ability of a PMC to
accomplish releases in this manner is an indicator of the project's viability.

If the Apache OpenOffice Project Management Committee words and
procedurally-approves a narrow, specific request for an exception with regard
to the UNO Tools of Apache OpenOffice, it can be taken to Apache legal and
elsewhere where review and approval at the Foundation level is required.

  - Dennis