Commenting just on document signing ...

[ ... ]

> [ ... ] I am unsure about what in OpenOffice
> uses the new cyphers. I think OpenSSL is used for signing documents:
> when we update OpenSSL will AOO automatically accept more signing
> options? I would expect browsers will bring their own SSL
> implementations.
[orcmid]

The document signature support in Apache OpenOffice is based on XML Digital
Signatures Second Edition,
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-xmldsig-core-20080610/>. This has nothing to do
with communications via secure sockets of course.  Granted that OpenSSL
provides library functions for more than that, there is still very limited use
for signing documents.

X.509 digital certificates are employed.  XadES extensions may be used
(impacting metadata information mainly and only implemented by Microsoft in ODF
as far as I know).  Depending on the platform the operating-system secure store
for the signing key will usually be employed, so there is operating-system
integration.  (This is definitely true for Windows.)

Basically, SHA-1 digests of each part within the ODF package (a Zip) are
incorporated in the signature file in a <SignedInfo> element.  That element is
effectively what is signed using method RSA-SHA1.  The <SignatureValue> element
provides the encrypted details by which the <SignedInfo> can be verified.  This
information can be decrypted and checked using the public key certificate of
the signer that is included in the signature file.  (These certificates have
their own cryptographic verification.)

There are no other methods for the signature data and its signing.

PS. The encryption of ODF files is very different and independent of the
signature mechanism.  It is password-based and it uses Blowfish 8-bit CFB mode
by default, encrypting each part of the ODF package separately.  Signing of
encrypted files is done after encryption.  There is an optional AES-256 usage
as well.  That is not produced by Apache OpenOffice.