On 28 Mar, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> Commenting just on document signing ...

OpenSSL also provides libcrypto which contains functions for creating,
validating, and using certificates.  It uses some of this functionality
to verify that a secure socket connection is actually connected to the
desired remote endpoint.  I've used to the openssl command line tool to
produce a certificate that was used to authenticate a connection from a
local application to a remote service.

There seems to be a standard place to store certificates under a user's
home directory in the *nix world.  A while back I signed up for a
service that requires updates from me to be signed with a certificate
that they created for me and that my browser downloaded and stashed away
somewhere.  When I tried signing a document with OpenOffice, it found
this certificate and offered it as a choice for signing.

Since OpenOffice also uses curl, which is used for downloading files,
and curl uses OpenSSL, it looks like OpenOffice depends on OpenSSL for
secure downloads.  I don't know if it downloads anything other than
extensions and updates.