On 19/04/2017 Marcus wrote:
2. Major version (X.y.z)
But for this it's not working. Here we first need to agree at which
point we create a new branch from trunk that will be used for a new
major release.

We never release from trunk. The initial step when considering a new release is: the release manager creates a dedicated branch (say, AOO420 or AOO500). Then the release is still a "tag" on that branch, exactly the same as we did for the AOO413 branch for OpenOffice 4.1.3.

So, in short: creating the branch is one of the first steps; creating the tag is one of the last steps.

Regards,
  Andrea.