Peter Kovacs wrote:
One idea could be, to see if we can manage the profile in a way if the profile
got corrupted Open Office falls back to a default profile and tries to go from
there.

The simplest way to approach the issue (since it is not reproducible in general and, once fixed, does not come back even on the same system, according to reports) is to provide an easy way to reset the user profile.

This can be done with a simple external tool that would simply remove/rename the "user" folder within the ".openoffice" (or similar name) folder. The tool would then be sent as a standard answer when the issue is reported.

Next step might be to include a similar functionality in OpenOffice itself through a menu item, like Tools - Reset Configuration or similar.

Someone might think that these are just workarounds, but we did have a bug with profile migrations and that was fixed years ago - but still a broken profile will remain broken. At the moment we don't have a common way to reproduce the issue and I believe that the mitigation would be more than enough.

Regards,
  Andrea.