Jim Jagielski wrote:
I was wondering... what do people think about going from 4.1.x all the
way straight to 4.5.0...
Since this next "major" release is pretty major, maybe a
bigger step in number might be justified. Especially if
we drop some older supported platforms.

We should focus on 4.1.4 until the release process is complete. And then we should start a proper discussion (that I'll be very happy to participate in, since my list of pending, realistic, proposals is getting longer and longer!) about the next release.

Its outcome will define how big a scope 4.2.0 has. And at that point, we can see whether it is more appropriate to number it 4.2.0, or 5.0, or 6.0, or 2018, or whatever. Until we don't know what goes into it, just tossing a number is a futile exercise.

If we don't have consensus on many changes, 4.2.0 will still be OK. If instead we have consensus on a significant number of changes, even numbering it 4.5.0 might be restrictive. As in all sane communities, this depends on discussion. I'm really looking forward to starting it next week.

Regards,
  Andrea.