Welcome George!

This sounds like you made up your mind for a long term volunteer project, which is awesome.  A big welcome from me. I hope you stay with us. Your mail sounds like you do not need much help. The recruitment has the Idea to help people to integrate better, by giving them a dedicated space to communicate.

Now lets root the discussion in to Dev Mailinglist. Please subscribe there. Damjan is our awesome contributer for Windows. If you 2 align that would be awesome. Please use the List, so all can participate.

We currently use MSVC 2008 for all releases, Damjan started to migrate to MSVC2015. A bigger jump to 2017 is fine for me, but keep in mind that we are standard wise behind 10 years the current standard. Especially on Linux we support Distributions, that do not have support for c++11. Also current conses is to keep Windows XP Compatibility.

At the same time, the migration from Windows 32bit Version to support 64bit has been started. The build currently breaks somewhere. A continuation would be awesome.

And we are moving the build environment from dmake to gmake. There are 65 modules left. This activity has a huge impact because all platforms are effected. And according to Damjan, the low fruits have been already migrated, and the ones left are not easy.

@Damjan, you still would like to migrate then to SCON after gmake, btw? I would still like to, even I do not count my voice much, because I did not drive this topic much. :(

Hope those answer you some of your questions, and loop you in roughly where our status is.

You can try Visual Studio version you like. I do not think MSVS supports our code. We have some special features build in historically, that are used only in the project. And we strongly use multilanguage architecture. So bringing the support to Visual Studio will be also not easy.

At Least on Eclipse it is very difficult to get the IDE partial working. I am thinking on extending one IDE, and I am undecided if Eclipse is the right choice, or maybe netbeans?... Well whatever not your issue. :)

It would be cool if we could establish Windows Visual Studio Suopport or any other IDE.

All the best

Peter

The MSVC we use

# 2008: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5023