On 21.11.2019 14:42, Jörg Schmidt wrote:

> [...]

I'm not sure what you mean by "legally acquired merit."

> Or are members of the PMC not allowed to have different opinions when voting?

They surely are, but a healthy community will reach a consensus through
discussion, not by majority fiat through a vote. This is actually a
crucial point and what the ASF is all about: and, if you find yourself
making decisions by voting, rather than the vote being just a way to
formally confirm prior consensus, then something has gone very wrong.

Different opinions /should/ be ironed out through discussion. If they're
not, eventually the community will break up. If the community finds
itself unable to form consensus about some topic, it's better to
postpone any decision, or explore alternatives.

> And if they may, may they not have different opinions in the future than at
> the time when they became a PMC member?

Of course they may. That's a normal consequence of learning, after all.

-- Brane