Hi Juan,
I am not a developer but I have often seen the suggestion that new
developers try to build OpenOffice from the source so they can begin to
contribute. The build process could be politely described by "nontrivial"
from what I have seen on this list. There is a guide here
<https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO>. Note
the platform specific instructions near the bottom. What is your preferred
platform?
I hope I am not misrepresenting anything in the above.
Thanks for volunteering!
Francis