On 28.09.2021 22:25, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> Is this a regression?

Not really sure, it used to work on AOO 4.1.10 AFAICR, but now, testing against
4.1.10 the same
problem occurs, although java.library.path has a different value compared to
4.1.11:

java.library.path=[.:/Users/rony/Library/Java/Extensions:/Library/Java/Extensions:/Network/Library/Java/Extensions:/System/Library/Java/Extensions:/usr/lib/java:.]

    java.runtime.version=[9.0.4+11]

However, I did update the operating system in between which now is macOS Big
Sur 11.6.

My (pure!) speculation is, that dlopen() on BigSur does not honor
DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH which
includes ~/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib, cf. [1], [2].

However, "man dlopen" would document that if DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH was not
set, then dlopen
operates as if this environment variable was set to
$HOME/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib. If that was
the case then libBSF4ooRexx.dylib would be found as it is in /usr/local/lib,
but it is not (hence
speculating).

So maybe these libraries should be explicitly added to the java.library.path on
Darwin to have
System.loadLibrary(name) look through them.

---rony

[1]  "Using Dynamic Libraries":
<https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/DynamicLibraries/100-Articles/UsingDynamicLibraries.html>

[2] Manpage for dlopen(3):