Wild question: Why do we even need TLS? I know, I know, that there is this push
for SSL everywhere, but really, despite what the powers behind the "new
internet" think, not all comms require TLS.

But Ok, with that off my chest :)

So we think/know that OpenSSL1.1 would NOT have that problem because it works
around the LetsEncrypt issue. Which means we have 2 options:

  1. Stay w/ OpenSSL 1.0.2 and use the LE hack mentioned in this thread
  2. Upgrade all to OpenSSL 1.1

My assumption is that dropping Serf for Curl wouldn't make a difference since
both use OpenSSL