Hello Carl,

On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 07:36:37PM -0500, Carl Marcum wrote:

> Hi Arrigo,
>
> On 11/17/21 2:16 AM, Arrigo Marchiori wrote:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > I pushed a new branch "serf", that contains the OpenSSL upgrade
> > commits (I reverted the reverts ;-) plus a tentative upgrade of the
> > serf library to 1.3.9.
> >
> > A small patch is included to allow building with Python3-based SCons.
> >
> > The oox module also needed minor patching because it uses some OpenSSL
> > functions that were refactored since OpenSSL 1.1.0.
> >
> > I tested it under Linux with Peter's Docker image (adding SCons). It
> > builds and runs, but I am not sure how to verify if the SSL related
> > problems are solved.
> >
> > I could not yet test if it builds under Windows and Mac. Any help
> > would be appreciated. Please note that the "serf" branch derives from
> > trunk.
> >
> > Best regards,
>  I tried to build the serf branch but it broke on serf module.  I think I
> need Scons.
> Are there instructions to add it?

Not yet. I think we should only document it if we ``officially''
choose this path.

If you are using Peter's Docker image, you can install SCons in a
temporary container with the command:

 # yum install scons

In order to make the installation permanent, we should edit the
Dockerfile.

If you are using your own computer, then you will need to install the
scons package using your distribution's package manager (apt, yum,
zypper...)

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
--