Hi,
there is a problem with OO Writer when saving document. I would really appreciate any hints:

we are developing document management system, the document (files) are stored in a database. When user wants to edit the file, it is extracted from database to disk and then external application is called to open the file. Then user makes changes to this document and closes the application.

The key point is to know, when user has finished editing the file and copy it back to database.

Mostly we start the external process and periodically check if it is active. If not, we know that editing has finished. This is not possible with OO, as then process is still running when another file is opened in another OO window. The process seems to be the same for all OO windows.

With such applications we do another approach: we try periodically to get ShareExclusive access to this file. If the request is rejected, we know that the file is still opened and edited. And here is the problem with Writer - when you save the file in Writer, there is a short period of time, when the the exclusive access to the file can be obtained and more, the file can be even DELETED. There is an important point to know: this behaviour can be reproduced when the OO QuickStarter is running (I do not know if this could have any impact on it).

Also when comparing to MS Word or Excel, trying to get exclusive access to the file works fine. Word or Excel does not release the "lock" from the file until the file is closed.

What do you think about it? How can I know, when the file opened by Writer was closed? Or better - shouldn´t this behaviour be changed not to release the file access "lock"?

Thank you very much for any hint.
If this is wrong group, please, point me to the right place.

Ales Kahanek