Kirk Israel wrote:

> Sorry, I'm not being willfully dense here...I understand that if I'm
> doing this through the API, there has to be an instance of OOo
> running, but are you saying that the segment of the source responsible
> for reading in Doc (and the other segment, reseponsible for spitting
> out HTML) is so tightly coupled with the rest of the system as a whole
> that extracting those two segments isn't feasible, that saying "aha,
> THIS is the conversion function" wouldn't get you anywhere, because it
> depends on so much other stuff working to run?

I think you have a misconception how document conversion in OOo works.
There is no direct "translation" between input and output format, input
filters always convert the input format into a representation in memory
(the "core" of a document) and the output filter converts this into the
output format. If you think about this a little bit you will see that
anything else doesn't make sense, at the end OOo is an application and
not a conversion service: why should there be code that directly
translates from e.g. doc to html? OOo itself doesn't need such code.

So it will never make sense to isolate the filter code, you always also
need the code of the document core also. Theoretically it is possible to
take the code of the filters and the core and make it a smaller package
but until now nobody needed something like this so very badly that he
started the work to create such an environment. You will need a kind of
an application anyway and you will need UNO and its bootstrapping, you
will need some of the services in OOo used by the filters etc.

So it's possible but quite some work to do and all you earn from the
work to make it happen would be that you safe some MB on disk.
Is that worth the effort?

BTW: you don't need an *installed* version of OOo on your machine, it's
enough to have a runnable *copy* (though in this case you have to create
each UNO connection manually because your system doesn't provide a hint
where the OOo installation is).

Best regards,
Mathias

Please reply to the list only, [EMAIL PROTECTED] is a spam sink.