Hi,

Dependencies on LGPL libraries may soon become a problem. One such library is lp_solve, which is the basis of the OpenOffice.org Linear Solver in Calc.

It would certainly be a nice twist of irony if the "evil-grasping-Sun-solver" became exclusive to LibreOffice, but I'll go ahead and spoil the fun: COIN-OR (www.coin-or.org) has a lot of OR code under the less-evil EPL or CPL licenses. Among it: Clp for linear programming, Cbc for integer conditions, and CoinMP, which wraps these in a single shared object with a C interface.

I created issue 118160 and attached a simple proof-of-concept patch to use CoinMP instead of lp_solve. From some limited testing, this seems to work very well. Some changes will still be needed for building and packaging, and perhaps some tweaking of solver settings. But the patch shows that replacing lp_solve is clearly a (pardon the pun) solvable problem.

Niklas