Hi Niklas,

On 11.06.2011 17:36, Niklas Nebel wrote:
> Dependencies on LGPL libraries may soon become a problem.
What would be the problem here?

[Just curious why it was o.k. in the past, but may be a problem "soon" ?]

> One such library is lp_solve, which is the basis of the OpenOffice.org
> Linear Solver in Calc.
>
> It would certainly be a nice twist of irony if the
> "evil-grasping-Sun-solver"
Again, not sure what you mean with "evil-grasping" here? Doesn't Oracle
(Sun) hold the copyright and can issue a version with any license of
their choice?

> became exclusive to LibreOffice, but I'll go ahead and spoil the fun:
> COIN-OR (www.coin-or.org) has a lot of OR code under the less-evil EPL
> or CPL licenses. Among it: Clp for linear programming, Cbc for integer
> conditions, and CoinMP, which wraps these in a single shared object
> with a C interface.
>
> I created issue 118160 and attached a simple proof-of-concept patch to
> use CoinMP instead of lp_solve. From some limited testing, this seems
> to work very well. Some changes will still be needed for building and
> packaging, and perhaps some tweaking of solver settings. But the patch
> shows that replacing lp_solve is clearly a (pardon the pun) solvable
> problem.
Sounds promising, nevertheless.
:)

---rony