>> I had not thought of that. When I first used OSM, segments were long
>> gone so I tend to forget those. There are a few planet dumps from
>> those time but none before 060403 and no diffs (which would be
>> required to fully reconstruct the history).
>
> No, diffs only show the changes between two points in time, not what
> happened in between; so they cannot be used to fully reconstruct history.

That's why I like the new replicate diffs.

Has anyone done - and kept - a complete database dump before migrating
from 0.4 to 0.5 or is the history (at least partially) lost?

>> As I understand it all the old
>> segments that weren't part of a way were converted to a way and all
>> 0.4-ways were just migrated to 0.5-ways (segments to node reference).
>> I suppose segments that were part of at least one way were not
>> converted to a way?
>
> I think so too, but I am unsure what happened to tagged segments. Also we
> used to have lots of "unordered ways" where a number of segments were part
> of a way but not in a sorted order. Sometimes they weren't even contingent
> and thus had to be split in multiple ways when 0.5 was introduced. Also, we
> used this deliberately to model areas with holes (two chains of segments,
> one clockwise, one counter-clockwise, being part of the same way - that was
> your area with a hole!). These would have to be retro-fitted into
> multipolygons for every point in history. It is not difficult to do it once
> but to do it for two points in history and hope to assign the resulting
> changes to the same virtual relation id is... a challenge.

Thanks for the history tour. I didn't know all that. Sounds a bit like
the "Wild West of OSM" :)
But I can't quite follow the multipolygon problem. I thought that
_every_ old segment has been migrated to 0.5 in one way [sic!] or
another and I would "only" prepend the history I can find to these
existing ways. Am I thinking too simple here?

>> - For ways we'd need to find the history data of the segments they
>> were made of and "merge" that into the history of the way, again
>> requiring versions before "1"
>
> Yes, we briefly thought about something like that when we did the 0.4-0.5
> migration (a synthesized history if you will) but dropped the idea due to
> its complexity.

I can certainly appreciate that decision. I just want to understand
what would be needed and decide if it is worthwhile to do something
about it or not.

Lars