On Thu, 2010-04-15 at 12:01 -0700, Seth Voltz wrote:

> I've searched high and low for a solution to this problem and have found
> nothing that works. I have successfully imported a CloudMade extract of
> California into my PostGIS database and rendered tiles from it using the
> Mapnik scripts. Able to confirm basic functionality, I decided to move up to
> a full planet import. I have tried 3 planet files (100317, 100401 and 100407)
> with the same error at different points for each file and sometimes different
> places for the same file on different runs. No import is able to get past the
> nodes import. From searching on the forums it at first seemed the error was
> being caused by duplicate data in the Planet file and running without --slim
> would bypass the problem. Here is the latest run on the 100401 planet export
> without slim mode:
>
> - ---------------------------------------------------
> Reading in file: planet-100401.osm.bz2
> Processing: Node(61870k) Way(0k) Relation(0k)planet_osm_point - bad result
> during COPY, data 86767681   \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N
> \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N       \N      \N
>    \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N
>      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      Unterdürnbach
> \N      \N      \N      \N      \N       \N      village \N      \N      \N
>    \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N
>      \N      SRID=900913;POINT(1767106.17982627 6203496.15919218)
>
> Error occurred, cleaning up
> #>
> - ---------------------------------------------------
>
> Running with slim mode on yields the same errors earlier in the document
> (around 32000k if memory serves)

Odd, I don't think I have ever seen that error before. The presence of
that "ü" in the output makes me wonder if this is an encoding issue.
Your database using should be UTF-8:

$ psql -l
                                  List of databases
   Name    |  Owner   | Encoding |  Collation  |    Ctype    |   Access
privileges
 gis       | jburgess | UTF8     | en_GB.UTF-8 | en_GB.UTF-8 |

If it is not UTF-8 then you will need to create it again, e.g.

$ createdb -E UTF8 -O <username> gis

If that does not work then perhaps you should look in the postgresql
server log to see if that includes a more verbose error message.

        Jon