Well, the misconfigured RAM cap was the last missing piece, osm2pgsql seems to
have all the resources it requires. The last question I have is one of time. As
of an hour ago I've been running the import for 5 days solid. Around 8 hours
ago I thought the run was complete as it spat out the last "Completed
planet_osm_*" line that I expected to see from a posted example [1]. Pulling up
top, I'm still using about 90% of the RAM used during the active import stages
and postmaster is using between 3% and 7% of my CPU with occasional bursts to
10% (during the import it ran between 10% and 50% with short spikes higher). I
can see the OSM data in the database and query it (though slowly). Is this
normal? Given the time it took to import everything, does anyone have an idea
how long I can expect to wait before osm2pgsql completes its execution? What is
it doing?

Also, is it safe at this point to start up tile generation?

[1]
http://www.adamestrada.com/2010/03/30/openstreetmap-planet-osm-processing-statistics/

Thanks,
Seth