On 11/14/2012 05:34 PM, Michal Migurski wrote:

Why Trac has nowhere near such an effect I couldn't say but it is
just the truth that once you put something on Github, people are
*much* more likely to contribute.

[citation needed]

My statement was based on my own experience with open source projects.

I cannot be bothered to find some hard evidence that "Github makes
people much likely to contribute" though, it's just a fact. :-)

The stylesheet is also an organically-grown system, and as Frederik
pointed out it's not a good idea to just accept pull requests
willy-nilly from anyone who wants to see their pet tag rendered. Not
 to mention the ease with which a punishing, unsustainable Postgres
query might be introduced, or potential inconsistencies in osm2pgsql
 style column mappings across systems.

Sure, the same is true for any software project really... accepting
everything is not a good idea as it leads very quickly to feature creep
and unmaintainable code base.

However, this is getting a bit off-topic. I concede the point that Github vs Trac is not the most important discussion in the world while there's no activity with current 400+ issues.

Not sure to whom I'm addressing this statement but... I'm involved in a number of OSM related things at the moment but if there is anything I could do to help with the current Mapnik/style situation then don't hesitate to contact me privately.

I can do what I can to help with anything except for the esthetic aspects as I'm no artist :-)

BTW, it feels like more and more people are asking about the main style development, hopefully some kind of critical mass is building and things will move forward soon.

Paweł