On 11/15/2012 09:46 AM, Richard Fairhurst wrote:

Whether or not we use git or svn for the Mapnik stylesheet is a question,
but not one which I think will have much bearing on the willingness of
people with cartography nous to contribute. More important are:

- moving from something that cartographers can't understand (XML) to
something they might be able to (CSS)
- reducing the need for an industrial rendering stack to test changes, and
instead being able to prototype on the desktop or via the web

Would that be something to help with? Especially the second part looks like it may help - kind of a playground area with the current rendering stack available + some simple UI to try out changes, perhaps even use it as a pastebin - you can show people your changes etc.

Paweł