Roald
Last I had checked in MySQL VARCHAR(255) was the max size. Now it seems
they made a change to VARCHAR to allow for sizes over 255 the new max is
65,535 bytes -2 which equals 65,533 characters.
So yes that should work just fine. Just be aware the larger you make it the
larger and slower your indexes will be so don't go overboard.
This is based on http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/char.html
you will need to check the equivalent documentation page for the exact
version you are running to verify if its supported on your version.