On May 22, 2015, at 11:58 PM, Carlos Rodríguez
<carlos.rodrig...@otrs.com<mailto:carlos.rodrig...@otrs.com>> wrote:
Probably I didn’t get the point, the new architecture of OTRS will enable the
scheduler to perform different kind of tasks that are currently delegated to
Cron and other parts of OTRS itself,

That is the point - you're reinventing a fairly critical wheel here in a way
that makes it more expensive and painful to run otrs.

. For better or worse, cron is the system standard method for executing
repeating batch workload on Unix systems. There are lots of things to hate
about cron, but it's what people have, and it works well enough. Most
enterprise monitors have tooling to monitor cron-based workloads built in.

In a production environment with real SLAs, it's not good enough to know that
the scheduler is running. You need to know that the actual tasks run (and the
success/failure of those tasks may need to get reflected into a larger business
service monitor).

Inventing your own scheduler means that to get that information, I have to code
a completely separate set of scripts to cope with your scheduler AND maintain
them over time. That's a significant cost over time.

But, you might say, our stuff is compatible with cron, so you don't need
that....If your solution looked enough like cron to use the standard
interfaces, then what's the point of NOT using cron?

Every tool that reimplements standard system services costs me significant time
and effort and makes it harder to give the bosses a comprehensive business
dashboard that lets them see that the business is running OK. It makes it more
expensive to run OTRS, and it makes it harder to upgrade a fully integrated
environment because now some piece of critical workload -- the enterprise ITSM
system -- is now off in a corner and not part of the other system scheduled
workload. I can't optimize it along with the other scheduled work because the
optimizer we use looks at the standard system service, and the otrs piece isn't
there.

To some extent, we're talking about a developer view of the world vs an
operations view. Developers can tolerate proliferation of schedulers; for
operations, more places to put stuff isn't better.

If you want to try an example of this problem, try mapping the workload using
the default OTRS CMDB. It'll quickly show you why this approach has problems.

> in OTRS 5 you will only need to
> monitor the process that controls
> the scheduler is up and running to
> make sure that the service will be
> working.

Uh, no. All that tells you is that the scheduler process exists, and maybe that
that the control interface is operational. It doesn't tell you that the
scheduler is actually doing work or the success of individual tasks. For that,
you'd need to develop custom monitoring scripts.

Fwiw, cron exposes that data via crontab (the list of scheduled tasks) and the
standard process exit codes (success/fail).

> For sure you still need to monitor
>you http server and your DB.

Same thing here. Process up != working.

 You will get more details about the new scheduling mechanism and other new
features when OTRS 5 Beta 1 gets GA.

I'll look for it. Thanks for the response.

== db