On 12/15/06, Craig McClanahan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip/>

Re:  you guys tag teaming on RM for Shale ... +1!  :-).  The wiki has a
bunch of notes (mostly from Wendy) that I basically followed last time.  A
couple of things to watch out for:

* The shale-master pom should be upversioned and released
  separately first, so we don't have to depend on a snapshot version of it

<snap/>

Yup, I'll get to this, have a question first (probably deserves a new
thread -- in a few minutes).

* The parent pom has maven-javadoc-plugin and maven-source-plugin
  commented out for quicker development builds ... we'll want them for
  a release build.

* There's a bunch of other commented out cruft that we might as well
  get rid of too.

<snip/>

+1 to removing pom cruft (we can recover it from SVN history, and add
back later if needed).

* The details of how we can stage the actual bits to be voted on are likely
  to be slightly different ... but the key principle is that we want to be
able
  to examine the actual bits being proposed (i.e. with a 1.0.4 version
number,
  not an RC suffix) for the actual vote.  Rahul's getting used to this on
  Commons releases :-).

* Don't forget to tag the repository

<snap/>

Sounds like reasonable things to do :-) We even have a staging repo
defined in the master pom (thanks Wendy) which we should use for this.

After the release, I'm also suggesting that we hold off on major changes to
the repository until we talk about my earlier proposal to branch at this
point and start working on 1.1 in the trunk, giving us the ability to do
bugfix and/or security releases to the 1.0 branch without polluting it with
new features.  With SVN its easy to change our minds about whether the tag
is under "tags" or "branches", but I'd like to see us formalize that
decision before getting active again.

<snip/>

OK by me.

-Rahul