So Matt have you looking into what those threads are doing?  I agree
that it seems odd that with 2.5.1-update1 you are running out of
threads but it is hard to pinpoint the reason without knowing what all
those extra threads might be doing.

On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 11:04 AM, Merrill, Matt <mmerr...@mitre.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I haven’t heard back on this, so I thought I’d provide some more
> information in the hopes that perhaps someone has some ideas as to what
> could be causing the issues we’re seeing with shindig’s “loopback” http
> calls.
>
> We have a situation where under load we hit a deadlock-like situation
> because of the HTTP calls shindig makes to itself when pipelining gadget
> data. Basically, the HTTP request threadpools inside our Shindig Tomcat
> container are getting maxed out, and when shindig makes an http rpc call
> to itself to render a gadget which pipelines data, the request gets held
> up waiting for the rpc call, which might be being blocked by the Tomcat
> container waiting to handle an HTTP request.  This only happens under
> load, of course.
>
> This is puzzling to me because when we were running Shindig 2.0.0, we had
> the same size threadpool, and now that we’ve upgraded to Shindig
> 2.5.0-update1, the threadpools now seem to be getting maxed out.  I took
> some timings inside of our various shindig SPI implementions
> (PersonService, AppData Service) and I didn’t see anything alarming.
> There are also no spikes in user traffic.
>
> As I see it, we have a few options I could explore:
>
> 1) The “nuclear” option would be to simply increase our tomcat HTTP
> threadpools, but that doesn’t seem prudent since the old version of
> shindig worked just fine with that thread pool setting.  I feel like a
> greater problem is being masked. Is there anything that changed between
> Shindig 2.0.0 and 2.5.0-update1 that could have caused some kind of
> increase in traffic to shindig?  I tried looking at release notes in Jira,
> but that honestly wasn’t very helpful at all.
>
> 2) Re-configure Shindig to use implemented SPI methods (java method calls)
> instead of making HTTP calls to itself through the RPC API shindig
> exposes?  Based on Stanton’s note below, it seems like there are some
> configuration options for the RPC calls, but they’re mostly related to how
> the client-side javascript makes the calls.  Is there anything server side
> I can configure?  Perhaps with Guice modules?
>
> 3) Explore would be if there are hooks in the code to write custom code to
> do this. I see in PipelinedDataPreloader.executeSocialRequest that the
> javadoc mentions that:
> "Subclasses can override to provide special handling (e.g., directly
> invoking a local API)”  However, I’m missing something because I can’t
> find out where the preloader gets instantiated.  I see that the
> PipelineExecutor takes in a Guice injected instance of
> PipedlinedDataPreloader, however, I don’t see it getting created anywhere.
>  Where is this being configured?

The intention was probably to make this possible via Guice, but there
is not interface you can bind an implementation to.  You would have to
replace the classes where PipelinesDataPreloader are used and then
keep going up the chain until you get to a class where you can inject
something via Guice.  Looks like a messy situation right now with the
current way the code is written.