+1 to tooling and moving Maven stuff there.
-0 to moving IDE out of the whiteboard until we have a consensus on a
serialization/transport form.

My understanding is that the current IDE codebase is being used to
prototype a serialization form and transport protocol and that we will
eventually be trying to reach consensus on using that, vlt, or something
else.

An alternative would be to create the tooling top-level directory and then
put the IDE in a branch.

Justin